9 January 2014

lazy thinking. and you can't own customers.

At the book office today, I read this headline:
I've no love for Amazon and, yes, they play hard. But let's avoid assumptions and sloppy thinking (except my own).

So, Amazon set up a marketing kiosk outside a university bookstore. Maybe campus bookstores are different in America, but I wouldn't call them indies and the virtuous hardships that label often implies. A fairly captive audience, mark-ups on academic titles, and high margin paraphernalia with the school logo.

But my bigger problem is the phrase "steal customers". You can't steal customers. They aren't serfs. They aren't indentured purchasers. You can compete for customers. You can encourage them to shop with you. But, they're free. In the market.

Once you start feeling entitled to your customers, it's unsurprising you complain about the competition instead of taking the fight to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment